Monday, June 8, 2009

Drapery Tassel Bling

I'm at that age where a lot of my friends' children are graduating from high school. My son is 16; he's got a couple of years to go. But I have decided one thing: when he graduates, he will wear some drapery tassel bling, dammit.

I was struck by the extremes when I was browsing graduation photos on friends' facebook photo albums. Group pictures were the most telling: a group of friends standing in a row, all in their caps and gowns but a couple of the kids had tassels and some had none. Some had purple and white and gold, some just a purple...what does it all mean? Honor society, French honor society, cumulative GPA of 3.9 or higher...I'm sure there are many others, in rainbows around their necks.

My kids are smart...but neither one of them is going to be valedictorian (nor would I want them to be...being valedictorian these days means you've basically got about two years of college under your belt when you graduate, resulting in a 4.5 GPA...I really do want my kids to enjoy high school.) But I want them to stand out from the crowd when they walk with the 800 other kids in their graduating classes...and that means they gotta get some bling.

Is there bling for social life? My daughter might have a shot at that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment