Thursday, February 19, 2009

Teenage Driver's Ed

My teenage son has made me a better driver. (Well, I always said I was a good driver in a bad way. I think I have good driving skills but I drive too fast.) I now come to a complete stop at every stop sign. Which means I driver slower down residential streets, because who needs the whiplash?

I pay attention to the speed limit because how can I expect him to do the same when he's alone if I don't set a good example for him when I'm driving? But it's HARD....and it made me realize just how bad my driving had gotten. Did you know you're supposed to be able to see the tires of the vehicle in front of you when you stop? And you remember the two second follow rule on the freeway, right? Don't forget to turn left into the left lane...well, better give yourself a refresher here.

There are some real horses' ass drivers on the road these days and while I have a lot of confidence in my son, I don't have confidence in those OTHER drivers. And driver's ed, while better than nothing, doesn't even begin to prepare your kid for the real world.

But I love sending him to the store for milk!

No comments:

Post a Comment