Monday, February 16, 2009

Do we all have to be on a diet?

Let me say this first: as a former fatty (I lost 50 pounds going on 4 years ago) I totally understand the need to watch what you eat: portion size, fat content, fiber grams, etc. But now it seems like the fat police are everywhere...now that New York City is required to post calorie counts in all of its restaurants, it follows that the rest of the country will not be far behind.

How long before your waiter starts recommending healthier alternatives..."Really, Ma'am? The fries? Why not a side of steamed broccoli? Do you know how many fat grams are in that basil cream sauce?"

When I made the decision to lose weight, I knew I had to be the one with the willpower and the knowledge to make the right choices. Otherwise, it would never stay off. But now that I've been at this weight for a few years, I enjoy the dining out experience...it's one of the few times a month I don't study labels for fat, protein and fiber content. I sort of know what to avoid...I don't order alfredo sauce or fried meat or mountains of cheese. But conversely, I don't want to start a running total of calories...which is what we all will do when the menu slaps you across the face with it.

Will your receipt have two totals now? One for $$, the other for calories consumed?

No comments:

Post a Comment