Monday, July 27, 2009

Little Lost Black Boy

I went to the mall yesterday. On the way in, I spotted a little boy standing by the fire lane sign. He was little, black (and yes, there is a reason I point this out, so bear with me) and he was all alone. I asked him if his mom or dad was nearby...he said he was mad at his dad.

I told him we'd go find his dad together, that he shouldn't be outside at the mall all by himself. He didn't want to go in and I thought for minute that maybe his parents were right inside the door. I went over a peeked in...no such luck. But in the meantime, two black women walked up to the little boy and started talking to him.

One of the women immediately started talking at him, almost like she was mad at him. (He's four, keep in mind.) She told him he needed to come inside and if he didn't, the police would come along and take him and he would never see his dad again. Yes, let me repeat that. This black woman told this little black boy that the police would come and take him and he would never see his dad again.

I was amazed that she would say something like that to a small child. And then I thought this is part of the reason why black men grow up viewing the police as the enemy... don't go to the police, they will keep you away from the ones you love. They are not there to help, they are there to hurt. Don't snitch; the police will find some reason to haul you in.

And before you go getting all righteous on me, yes...I understand why black men are suspicious of the police. There have been too many incidents for them to not be wary. But this was a four-year-old boy. And if, God forbid, someone hadn't come along and helped him find his dad (and it was a happy reunion, by the way), I hate to think he wouldn't ask someone in uniform because of the fear this woman tried to instill in him.

No comments:

Post a Comment