Monday, April 20, 2009

Scary Water Cooler Talk at Hospitals

I was carted off the hospital the other day from work (I won't bore you with the details, and I'm fine, but there's nothing like getting hauled away in an ambulance with chest pains to ramp up the stress level at work!), and while I was waiting on a gurney for a room in the ER, I couldn't help but eavesdrop on the nurses chatting behind the desk.

Normally, water cooler chat is harmless...or at the most, petty and spiteful. This talk, however, was enough to induce a heart attack if you didn't already come in with that problem. I heard how over worked they were, how stupid some of the doctors were, how George doesn't know what he's doing half the time, and Lisa is hungover, and that policy just causes people to get infections...well, you get the drift here.

The only point to this blog post? When you are in charge of caring for the public--in whatever capacity that might be such as nurse, doctor, day care worker, social worker, therapist--your idle chatter about your job might be scaring the hell out of some of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment